According to the Urban Dictionary, there are numerous (and repetitive definitions) of “Captain Obvious:”
1. A sarcastic name for someone who states the obvious.
Capt: “The sky is blue.”
Man: “Thanks, Captain Obvious.”
2. A phrase quite obviously inspired by John Madden.
Contrary to popular belief, Captain Obvious is capable of flying but is afraid to, so he drives around the country in an RV, constantly on the lookout for blatantly obvious things to explain to the general public.
“Buffalo trails New England by three points at the two minute warning. When we return, that means Buffalo will have two minutes left to try to score. A field goal will tie the game. A touchdown will put Buffalo ahead. If Buffalo scores with any time left on the clock, New England will have a chance to try and score…”
3. A very slow-witted individual, usually one who states the most obvious thing.
A: “Hey, water’s wet!”
B: “Good call, Captain Obvious!”
4. Someone who says something that is so obvious, it’s not worth remembering what the person actually said.
Jim: “Hey, the world is in the universe!”
Timmy: “Well,well, thank you, Captain Obvious.”
5. Saying something that is obvious, that didn’t need to be said, and someone pointing out, wow, well done.
Another common term linked to this is also ‘No shit, Sherlock!’
6. Anyone who states the obvious.
Someone: “Soda’s bad for you.”
Me: “Thanks, Captain Obvious!”
7. A person who states the obvious as if nobody knew it already.
8. When a person says a thing that is obvious, you call them Captain Obvious.
9. Someone that has stated the clearly obvious.
A. “Hot chocolate is hot.”
B. “Thank you, Captain Obvious.”